Before you start designing your personal brand, you need to know :
The Purpose of Your Personal Brand
- Are You Trying to Create Engagement?
- Do You Want to Build an Email List?
- Are You after a residual income?
- Do you want to be perceived as an expert in your field?
- Do you want to build your dream life?
- Do you have a vision that will be driven by your personal brand?
Who is Your Target Audience?
- Who are you trying to attract/impress with your brand?
- Are you targeting a certain age group or sex
- Do you know their Demographics -(people living in the Bahamas are probably not interested in ice boots)
- Have you created an avatar of your perfect customer and do you talk to them on a one to one basis on your blogs and videos and the rest of your content?
Where Do They Hang Out?
Teenagers are inclined to hang out on Snapchat and WhatsApp
Milleniums on Instagram
Baby Boomers of Facebook
You can easily check out the percentages of the age groups on the various social media platform
When Are They Most Likely To Be Online?
- Moms are most likely to be free when the kids are in bed
- Workers may spend some time on their smart phones during their lunch break and on the drive to and from work
- Baby boomers may prefer to rise later and go to bed earlier
- How they are feeling at particular times needs to be taken into consideration
- Workers may not be too happy on Monday mornings, but be in much better form on Friday afternoons and the weekend
What Kind of Content Do They Like To Consume?
- Do they want it to be educational?
- Do they prefer a formal or a more casual approach?
- What is their preferred style in clothes and does it match with yours?
- Would they rather be entertained than informed?
What Has This Got To Do With YOUR Personal Brand?
Your personal brand is mainly based on your content online.
Your profiles, your websites, your live-streams, your tweets, your banners, your sales pages – in fact every single thing that you post online.
What is the first thing that most of us do when we see someone online? We Google them, we check them out on Facebook and some of the other social media platforms.
What happens when someone Googles YOU? Do you think they will be impressed or disappointed? If it is not impressive to your target audience, then you are unlikely to be making sales.
So perhaps you should have a re-think and try to see your online presence from the perspective of your targeted audience. Does it need a few tweaks or a complete overhaul?
That’s for you to decide, but if you are serious about improving your personal brand that is a great place to start.
You don’t need to rush around deleting everything, just add fresh content and soon the rest will fade into the background.
There is a lot more to a personal brand than most people realise. It takes hard work to get it right, but when you do, it becomes your most valuable asset. People may buy from people, but nowadays people are buying from the personal brands that resonate with them.
What Happens When Your Personal Brand is Ready?
Now comes the bad news! It’s never ready! There is no end in sight –
- You need to be constantly and consistently creating value and growing relationships.
- You need to be engaging with your target audience and influencers in your field or in a complimentary field.
- You need to be honing your skills and learning new relevant ones to share with your followers.
- Researching and creating new products, growing relationships, Analysing your content and results ad infinitum.
The question is not what a personal brand can do for you, but what can it not do for you? There is almost nothing that will not be affected by your personal brand, both in your business and in your life.
The right personal brand can open many doors in the media, in business and wherever you choose to put it to use.
Your personal brand will be constantly evolving throughout your life. Pay attention to it, because it is your most valuable asset.
You can take it with you wherever you go, just like your smart phone. Unlike the smart phone it won’t wear out or get broken as long as you are taking care of it.
So don’t ever underestimate the value of your personal brand and always bear in mind that your personal brand is really your reputation online. So treat it with care